The AUP Writing Lab, directed by Professor Ann Mott, is the centerpiece of our academic support services for students. In the writing lab, experienced student writers provide feedback and support at any stage of the writing process (developing a thesis, organizing an essay, avoiding plagiarism or simply overcoming writer’s block). Tutoring sessions are interactive and collaborative, and generally last 30 minutes. You can also visit the writing lab to pick up useful handouts on citation styles (MLA, Chicago/Turabian, APA). We also provide handouts and other resources. Make an appointment with the writing lab team today to find out how you can improve your academic performance.
Appointments are individual, interactive, and hands-on
AUP student peer tutors, who are both undergraduate and graduate, provide individually tailored, one-on-one tutoring sessions as well as guided, thematic workshops. They will support you at every phase of your writing assignment. All of your meetings with our peer tutors and writing staff are:
- Individual. Work with the tutor is done in individual, one-on-one sessions. You set the agenda, and we help you achieve your short- and long-term goals. Deciding what to work on is a collaborative process and our peer tutors have a lot of experience in helping students achieve their academic targets.
- Interactive. We believe that our appointments in the Lab are productive because students are required to actively participate by asking questions and generating their own ideas for improving a piece of writing. We will listen to your ideas for topics and ask questions to help you develop your focus, so that you can begin writing knowing what you want to accomplish in your paper. We will ask you to read part of your paper aloud so you can ‘hear’ your voice. We will interact with you and the outcome will not only be a better paper, but better knowledge for future challenges.
- Hands-on. If you come to the writing lab to work on sentence structure, expect to write some sentences. If you come to work on identifying a thesis for a paper, expect to generate topics, discuss their pros and cons, and end up with a number of good candidates.
Services offered by the writing lab
Tutoring sessions are interactive and collaborative, so please come prepared with your research notes, drafts, and assignments. You may choose a 30 or 60 minute appointment.
The Writing Lab helps students to:
- overcome writer’s block
- structure their essays and research papers
- develop a thesis
- organize an essay
- learn proofreading and editing strategies
- avoid plagiarism
- put together citations and bibliographies
- identify grammatical errors
Please note that the Writing Lab does not proofread your work or accept same-day papers.
How to Make an Appointment
Appointments consists of 30- to 60-minute collaborative consultations that take place in the writing lab in the grenelle building. Available hours are Monday through Friday.
To make an appointment, please stop by our office, call us at 01 40 62 06 52, or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.