The French government passed a new law on March 8, 2018 that will result in what it considers a simplification of French social security health coverage for 1.8 million students in France. Many of the details about how the law will be applied, however, have yet to be confirmed by the government. Information currently listed on this page will likely change once we know more in the months ahead. For more about the law, please read:

Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns about the AUP health plan at



Degree-seeking students over the age of 28 will be registered with a private health insurance company named MSH International that covers all basic medical costs as well as some alternative medicine.

This coverage includes eye glasses, contact lenses, preventive dental treatment, alternative medicine such as chiropractic care, doctors who make house calls (SOS Médecins), up to fifteen sessions a semester with a psychologist, and much more. It is important to consult the student health care handbook [pdf] for more details.

Cost of the health care plan

The cost of the health care plan is charged directly to your student account, and payment is due for new students when they register for classes.

Service Cost Validity
Health Insurance €440 One semester


Step-by-step reimbursement process

  • Pay upfront and ask for a feuille de soins. Remember to always have enough cash or a checkbook with you, as not all medical providers have a credit card machine. Ask the medical provider for an official claim form which is called feuille de soins. This document will serve as your receipt and is a mandatory document to claim for reimbursement.
  • Submit a RIB (your bank account information). You will need to submit your RIB the first time you send a claim form. If covered by Social Security, you need to open a French bank account. If covered by the complementary insurance MSH, you don’t need a French bank account. You just need to provide the name and address of the bank, account number, and routing number.
  • Getting reimbursed for prescription medication. Bring your doctor’s prescription for medication to a pharmacy and ask for a feuille de soins as a receipt. You must also submit your original doctor’s prescription along with your feuille de soins to be reimbursed.
  • Send your claim forms to the insurance company. Send all your claim forms directly to the insurance company or drop them off at the Student Development Office to be sent in. You need to indicate your AUP ID number preceded by 'AUP' on every sheet. Don’t forget to attach a RIB (your bank information) to the first claim form you send.


How to opt out of AUP’s health care plan

If you are a degree-seeking student over 28 and have an insurance that covers you in France then you are eligible to opt out. In order to opt out you need to provide a valid proof of insurance. If you are working in France and they provide your insurance, you will need to provide a copy of your employment contract. All documents must be provided to the health plan coordinator no later than orientation check-in.