If you’re under the age of 18 and wish to enroll at AUP, you’ll need a valid student visa when you first enter France. The pack that you receive when you’re admitted to the University will guide you through this process. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your local French consulate or contact your AUP Admissions counselor.

Beginning the immigration process

Once admitted to The American University of Paris, an acceptance pack will be sent to you via mail. The pack contains specific information regarding visas and immigration application instructions. These instructions will guide you on how to obtain your special minors visa, called visa D-mineur scolarisé (with multiple entries), from your local French consulate. If you turn 18 a few weeks after your intended arrival in France, the French consulate may decide to issue you a long-term student visa instead.

When you arrive at AUP, we’ll make copies of your visa, passport, birth certificate, boarding pass or the entrance stamp in your passport for our records. Unless you turn 18 within one month after your arrival in France, it’s not necessary to begin your residency application when you enter the country. However, two months before you turn 18, please contact us in order to start your residency application with the French authorities.

Changing from minor status to adult status

If you turn 18 between April-August, you must contact us no later than the first week of March in order to discuss your residency application. If you turn 18 in November, December, or January, you must contact us no later than the first week of October. Students must apply for a residency card, the titre de séjour, to regularize their resident status in France. Check out the first-year students section for the titre de séjour application procedure.

If you’re under 18 and you have any questions about your immigration procedure, please be in touch with your AUP Admissions counselor. If you’re under 18 and are a returning student, please contact Student Immigration Services.