How to apply for VA benefits

The following is a step-by-step guide explaining how to apply for VA benefits. In all cases, you or your parent need to first apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in order to receive your VA Certificate of Eligibility. Begin this process as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from AUP. 

  1. Apply for VA benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  2. Contact the (AUP Certifying Official) to discuss your plan to attend AUP.
  3. When you have received your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, send a copy to the (AUP Certifying Official) (be sure to do this prior to the first day of classes to be eligible for the AUP Veterans Scholarship).
  4. Set up direct deposit with the VA. Visit My Access Center to create an account and a login. In the Profile tab, click on eBenefits (you may need to log in again). Click on the tab entitled 'My Personal Dashboard' and under 'Education' click on 'Update Direct Deposit and Contact Information for Compensation & Pension & Post 9/11 GI Bill Education.'
  5. Once you have registered for classes, the AUP Certifying Official will confirm your attendance at AUP with the VA.  
  6. VA payments for tuition and fees will be sent directly to AUP. The housing allowance and the stipend for books will be sent to you via direct deposit.



Our staff at The American University of Paris is happy to help you with any issues or concerns that you might encounter. Do not hesitate to contact us:

  • (AUP Certifying Official): Your main point of contact at The American University of Paris for questions regarding veteran benefits is the AUP Certifying Official in Student Accounting Services. Feel free to contact our office and we will be happy to assist you.
  • Financial Aid: For questions regarding the Veterans Scholarship and other financial aid, please (contact the Financial Aid Office) within our Admissions team. You can also find additional information in the financial aid section of our website.
  • U.S. Veteran Affairs: Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits are administered through the Buffalo, NY regional office of the Veteran Affairs administration. They can be reached at 716-857-3196.