Scholarships & Financial Aid

Undergraduate Scholarships & Financial Aid

AUP awards over 4 million euros each year to students of all nationalities, promoting economic diversity among our already culturally diverse student body.

Nearly 45% of AUP students receive some form of financial aid. Many financial awards range from 25% to 50% of tuition. A limited number of awards are as high as 75% of tuition.


Scholarships and financial awards for undergraduate students

Scholarships are based on your profile and background, not on financial need. AUP will automatically consider you for scholarships once you’ve been admitted to the university.  

Financial Awards consider financial need in evaluating an award. You must request and complete a financial award application to be considered for financial awards.

Scholarship Awards
  • Global Citizen Scholarships generally range from €3,000 to €5,000 per academic year and in limited cases up to €10,000 per academic year. They are awarded based on your profile.
  • IB Scholarships are awarded automatically—you do not need to complete a separate application—based on your official IB diploma score. IB scholarships can range from €7,000 to €20,000 per year. 


Financial Awards
  • AUP Tuition Awards cover up to 50% of your tuition, and are based on academic merit and on your demonstrated financial need. To be considered for an AUP Tuition Award, you must submit a financial award application. American citizens and permanent U.S. residents must also file the FAFSA.
  • AUP Scholar Awards recognize students with outstanding academics and a profile that suggests you will excel and be a leader in AUP’s diverse, international community. AUP Scholars receive a total award package of 75% of tuition. Beyond excellent academics, you have global perspective, interest and ability in language, significant extracurricular activities and community involvement, and demonstrated financial need. Your application suggests that you will be an active student and possible leader in the AUP campus community. Students who submit a financial award application are automatically considered for this award but cannot specifically request it. Note that this award is only granted to first-year students and cannot be awarded for the first time to current students.


How to apply for a financial award

We ask you to fill out an online application and submit a number of supporting documents. New students can apply for a financial award at the same time as they apply for admission. The application for a financial award and any supporting documents will in no way affect the admissions decision. To apply, just follow these steps:

  • Select “yes” when asked, in your admissions application, if you are interested in receiving scholarships and financial aid, or if you intend on applying for a financial award.
  • You’ll receive an email with a link to our official portal.
  • Create your account using the same email address you used in your admissions application.
  • Complete your online financial award application and submit the required supporting documents.
  • American citizens and U.S. permanent residents must also file the FAFSA.
  • Once the application is complete with all documents, and you’ve been accepted to AUP, we’ll review the application and send you the decision via email.

Contact the Admissions Team if you have any questions about the procedure or your award. 


Once you have been awarded a financial award

To accept a financial award, you must confirm your attendance and complete all the steps in the online confirmation process, as detailed in your acceptance email. Please pay attention to any dates on the financial award letter as the offer may only be valid for a limited time and may be different from other admission deadlines. The official award is final, but in certain cases you may request a re-evaluation of your file by submitting a written appeal to your admissions counselor.

The amount in your award letter is for a full-time course schedule. Should your credit load decrease or increase in future semesters, you’ll maintain the same percentage of the financial award. In other words, your award amount will be pro-rated.

If you’re an American student or U.S. permanent resident, please read the loan eligibility information outlined in your award letter carefully. Let your admissions counselor know right away if you plan on applying for loans and make sure to read our step-by-step guide for loans at AUP [pdf].


Financial awards for current undergraduate students

All undergraduate students receiving a tuition award or AUP Scholar Award must maintain the required minimum cumulative GPA for their award, as well as complete a financial award application at the end of each academic year. It’s your responsibility to complete the application on time and to alert the Financial Aid Office to any delays. Failure to complete the application will jeopardize your financial award for the next academic year.

Current undergraduate students who have never received a financial award can submit a financial award application and the required supporting documents to be considered for a financial award for the following semester. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required to be considered. Contact to receive a copy of the online application form and a list of supporting documents required.

Current undergraduate students receiving only a Global Citizenship Scholarship are not required to take any steps to preserve it, apart from maintaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.


Loans for U.S. citizens and permanent residents

Students and permanent residents from the United States can obtain U.S. federal and private loans to help finance part or all of their studies. Make sure to read our step-by-step guide for loans at AUP [pdf] for more details and instructions on how to apply. The available loans are:

Federal Direct Stafford (subsidized/unsubsidized) Loan

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan

What loans you can apply for

We are Title IV-approved (code G07881) by the United States Department of Education to participate in the federal Direct Loan Program and administer loans to American citizens and permanent residents. This loan program gives our students access to Stafford, Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS loans. Our American students can also apply for the private Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan. Due to federal regulations, students applying through guaranteed transfer agreements will only be eligible for private loans, and not for federal Stafford and PLUS loans.

Most undergraduate students take out Stafford loans first and then use the Parent PLUS loan or the Smart Option loan for the balance. Eligibility and more detail are provided in the official financial award letter and the step-by-step guide for loans at AUP [pdf].

Please note that AUP students are not eligible for the Pell grant, or any other federal grants, as these grants are not applicable to universities that are located outside of the U.S., in accordance with federal regulations.

How to apply for loans

With the exception of the private Smart Option loan, which you can apply for directly online through Sallie Mae, all students applying for US federal loans must begin by filling out the FAFSA for each academic year.

Once you complete the FAFSA, a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) is sent to us electronically if you request it. AUP's Title IV code is G07881. It’s the student's responsibility to fill out the FAFSA properly and resolve any outstanding issues.

Filling out the FAFSA does not mean that you have applied for any loans. Completing the FAFSA is only the first of several steps required to apply for loans. You still need to apply for federal loans online. Please refer to the step-by-step guide for loans at AUP [pdf] for instructions. You will need to complete the Loan Agreement [pdf], as well.

How to receive your loan money

Once you’ve completed your FAFSA and the required steps to apply for loans, the Financial Aid Office initiates the request for your loan funds. This process takes about a week. Then, Student Accounting Services will credit your student account at The American University of Paris with the corresponding loan amount in Euros.

If any excess loan funds are on your student account after tuition and fees have been covered, student accounting services will prepare a check in Euros that you can deposit into your local bank account in Paris and use for your living expenses. Most students receive living expense money from their loans at the beginning of the semester. Nevertheless, federal regulations prevent The American University of Paris from disbursing loan funds, and therefore turning over any living expense money, any time prior to 10 days before the beginning of the loan period, usually the first day of the semester.

Please address all questions about your student account, gaining access to the refund check, and local banking issues to Student Accounting Services.

Loan amounts and eligibility

U.S. Department of Education regulations determine total loan eligibility, i.e. the maximum amount you can borrow in any given loan period, based on the following formula: tuition + fees + reasonable living expenses – financial awards received. Your FAFSA results will determine how this final amount is divided among your different loan types, but your overall loan eligibility is provided in the official financial award letter.

You cannot borrow more than your loan eligibility unless a detailed budget is presented and approved by the AUP Financial Aid Office. Federal statute indicates explicitly what can and cannot be included in a budget. For example items such as past credit card debt, most start-up costs before arriving on campus, rent that is noticeably higher than that of most other students, and any expenses outside of a loan period cannot be included in the budget.

Dollar exchange rate

Once a loan has been certified and the funds are ready to be requested from the U.S. treasury, student accounting services will credit your account with the net amounts of the loan. The net US dollar amount is converted to Euros using the official daily exchange rate for the day The American University of Paris received the funds.

Internships and study abroad and federal loans

Students who borrow federal loans are limited in the amount of study they can complete in the United States. This is because AUP is a "foreign university" (meaning our campus is located outside of the United States) as defined by the US Department of Education. Once at AUP, degree-seeking students who receive federal loans cannot elect to study inside the United States if it means more than 25% of their program (degree) is made up of courses completed in the United States. This takes into account previous transfer credits to AUP as well. Each request to study abroad, whether it is an entire semester or a one-course internship/thesis must be measured against the 25%  threshold. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Credit problems with the Parent PLUS or Smart Option loan

If you apply for one of these loans and your credit check fails, you will either need to correct the problem with your credit report or apply with an endorser. We encourage you to ensure that any problems get resolved well before payment deadlines.

Loan certification refusal

Although the Financial Aid Office strives to ensure that our students understand the complexities of the student loan process, we’ll never refuse to certify a loan for an eligible student. However, the Financial Aid Office reserves the right to refuse to process federal loans for a) students taking summer session courses before they begin their full-time studies in the fall semester; b) students who are not registered full-time during their first semester.

Contact for loan questions

Both the Financial Aid Office and Student Accounting Services process loans for students, but each office has a specific role and is better able to answer questions in certain areas.

Contact the Financial Aid Office with questions about:

  • how to apply for loans
  • your loan eligibility
  • emails from the U.S. Department of Education or past loan servicers
  • adjusting the amount of your loan
  • repayment, interest rates, or loan terms
  • how a certain academic choice or path will affect loan eligibility

Contact Student Accounting Services with questions about:

  • your student ledger
  • charges on your student ledger
  • refund checks or refund check calculations
  • invoices or billing statements
  • payments


General financial aid questions

This is a list of some of the most frequently asked financial aid questions. Please do not hesitate to contact the Financial Aid Office if your question is not answered.

Can I receive a financial award every year?

Almost all awards granted by AUP are easily renewed every year by meeting certain minimum requirements. Academic scholarships are maintained each semester by keeping a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. Tuition Award for undergraduate students are maintained with a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and by completing the returning student financial award application. Americans who receive federal loans must re-apply for the loans each academic year, which means completing, at minimum, a new FAFSA and a new Master Promissory Note(s) (MPN) for each loan.

What happens if I lose my Tuition Award or Global Citizen Scholarship?

You may appeal, in writing, to the Financial Aid Office to reinstate a financial award or scholarship once you meet the qualifications for the award again. For example, a student losing a Global Citizen Scholarship due to a 2.8 cumulative GPA at the end of the fall semester must achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA by the end of the spring semester before an appeal for reinstatement can be made. Awards are reinstated the semester following the appeal. An appeal cannot be made retroactively.

How do I receive my awards?

All types of financial awards will be applied directly to your AUP student account. Your award is tied to registration and course load and will be adjusted according to any course overload or part-time enrollment.

If you are an American student receiving loans, we will submit loan amounts for you to the student accounting services office, which will credit your student account. If a positive balance remains following the deduction of tuition and fees from your loan amount, a refund check in euros will be issued to you by student accounting services.

What is the FAFSA?

FAFSA is an acronym that stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid and is required of all American students applying for financial awards and loans. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) formula on the FAFSA helps our Financial Aid Office determine financial need. Our overall financial award evaluation policy for all students is loosely based on the FAFSA to determine need, as well as the family's expected contribution (EFC) to the overall annual education cost.

What happens if I drop to less-than-full-time registration?

You may still qualify for loans provided that you’re still registered for at least 6 credits. Your Tuition Award will be pro-rated however, and consequently your loan eligibility will decrease. Therefore, it is important to inform the Financial Aid Office prior to the beginning of the semester if you expect to drop below full-time registration. If you drop down to less than half-time registration (0 to 5 credits), you may not apply for additional loans and your previous loans will no longer qualify for an in-school deferment.

Can I get my January rent money before I leave in December? Can I get my September rent money in mid-August?

No. This is, unfortunately, a very common question, but federal regulations state explicitly that we cannot disburse living expense money any time prior to 10 days before the first day of class. If your loans are guaranteed and set up completely, we’re happy to intervene and speak with your landlord or provide documentation advocating for a payment extension until you receive your funds.

Can I get living expenses for the summer if I plan to stay in Paris?

Yes, but only if you’re going to be registered for at least 6 credits during the summer session. If you’re not registered in the summer, you can’t include any summer expenses on the budgets of the preceding spring or following fall semesters.

Can I use private scholarships?

Students are eligible to use private scholarships to pay for tuition.

Is it possible to work off-campus?

With a student visa, you have the right to work part-time in France during your studies.

Other Scholarships, Awards and Grants

There are additional scholarships, awards and grants besides financial aid that you can apply for directly, which may enhance your learning opportunities and experiences.