Living in Paris means having your own place that you call home—but also paying your bills and taking responsibility for your finances. Having a French bank account is required for getting a mobile phone contract and paying bills such as rent and electricity. We advise all students planning to stay in Paris for more than one semester to open a bank account.


Opening a bank account before arriving in Paris

To make settling into your new life in Paris as easy and stress-free as possible, the University has established a partnership with a french bank, Société Générale, which is within walking distance from campus. This bank also has English-speaking counselors available.

Once you have been admitted to the University and confirmed your attendance, you can pre-open a bank account by filling out the application form and sending a scanned copy of your acceptance letter together with a copy of your passport and visa to Student Development Office. We’ll take care of the rest together with the bank. Take a look at the short video below about the advantages of pre-opening a bank account. 


Société Générale
106, rue Saint Dominique
75007 Paris           


Wesley Nguyen                                Laurent Louis Desir Elisa

Tel:  +33 (0)1 47 53 55 23                  Tel: +33 (0)1 47 53 55 17


Banking for current and returning students

If you are a returning student and do not have a bank account yet or you want to change to our partner bank, just fill out the application for Société Générale [pdf] and send it together with a copy of your passport to Student Development Office. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about these banking procedures.


Losing your credit card

If you lose your banking card or it is stolen, you must call your bank immediately to block the card and prevent unauthorized access to your bank account. You can  get in touch with us for help if the incident occurred during our office hours.


The relevé d'identité bancaire

Another important part of French banking is the Relevé d'Identité Bancaire, commonly referred to as a RIB. This document contains your personal bank information, including your account number, name, IBAN, and BIC, so keep it safe and don't lose it. It enables you to provide your bank details to others, for example to pay phone bills automatically or to receive wire transfers.


Wire transfers

Wiring money is the fastest way to receive money from outside of France. You can either transfer money to your French bank account using the IBAN/BIC information from your RIB, or wire money using Western Union or TravelEx Moneygram.


Currency exchange

Places to change your money, called bureaux de change are located all throughout the city. At a bureau de change you can either change money or travelers checks. Make sure to check the daily exchange rate at all change agencies to ensure that you receive what is owed to you upon the exchange.