Requirements differ slightly whether you’re planning to study at one of our partner schools or at a non-partner site. The main difference is in the eligibility requirements and how many credits transfer back to AUP.


Eligibility requirements to study at partner schools

If you want to study at one of our partner schools, you must fulfill the following requirements to be eligible:

  • You must not have any financial obligations towards the University.
  • You must have a GPA of 3.0 at the time of application.
  • You must have earned a minimum of 64 credits and be a first-semester, second-semester junior, or a first-semester senior at the time of departure. However, you must complete a final, full-time semester (a minimum of 12 credits) at AUP.
  • You must have successfully completed EN 1010 (‘C’ or above) at the time of departure.
  • If you have advanced standing credits (30 credits from your BAC, IB…), you must spend three semesters on the AUP campus before you can study abroad.


Applying to partner schools

Because there is limited space in each location, there is a nomination process in place.

  • You must write a 250-500-word personal statement to demonstrate motivation.
  • You must submit a professor’s recommendation form (please remember that you may not expect your evaluator to write a letter on short notice).
  • You must submit the two above items to the undergraduate advising center by February 1 for a fall study abroad or by June 15 for a spring study abroad.

Your application is then reviewed by the study abroad committee who determines your overall qualifications based on a ranking system (determined by your overall GPA, the quality of your personal statement, and the letter of recommendation you provided) as well as on the appropriateness of the study abroad location for your particular academic needs.

If you’re nominated, you’re ready to apply to the study abroad site. Because each site is different, the application process is done with the undergraduate advisor in the advising center. You may not apply to the site directly.


Eligibility and applications to non-partner schools

There are no eligibility requirements or nomination process for non-partner schools. You may apply directly to the school you wish to attend. Feel free to discuss your options with your assigned academic advisor.


Requirements for all students studying abroad

Regardless of whether you’re studying at a partner or non-partner school, you must get approval for your courses by completing the pre-approval form.

There are other important points that apply to all study abroad students, too:

  • You must complete a readmission form at the Registrar’s Office before your departure.
  • You should register for courses at AUP just in case your study abroad plans fall through.
  • Grades do not “transfer” back. You will be awarded credit for any course for which you obtain a “C” or above.
  • You may not take a course with a “Credit/No Credit” option.
  • You may withdraw from a course.
  • You must continue to check your AUP email account regularly while abroad to keep abreast of important communication.
  • You must be in email contact with the advising center (for study abroad at partner schools) or your assigned academic advisor (for study at non-partner schools) during the AUP registration period.
  • You must request an official transcript to be sent to the AUP Registrar’s Office before you leave your study abroad site.