Internship Vocabulary and FAQ


Document to amend a contract (addendum). In the context of an internship, document amending a convention de stage, a training agreement or a memorandum of agreement. The document must be signed for to make any contract changes official, i.e. for an extension of the internship, for a modification of the working hours, to terminate the internship earlier than planned, etc.


CDI stands for contrat à durée indéterminée. Type of contracts signed in France for a permanent position. CDD stands for contrat à durée déterminée. Type of contracts signed in France for a short-term position. More information here.

Convention de stage:

A convention de stage is the French name for an internship contract or training agreement. It is required for all internships taking place in France and must be signed by AUP, the student and the internship employer. The convention is issued by the AUP Internship Office before the internship begins, but after an internship registration request has been submitted. It stipulates the dates of the internship, general tasks, and mentions that the internship is directly connected to the student’s course of study. It also provides mandatory supplemental workplace insurance.

Faculty reader or advisor:

Member of the faculty who will read and grade the student’s internship report in case of a credit-bearing internship (more than 1-CR). Faculty reader is the terminology used for BA internship. Faculty advisor is used when talking about a MA internship. The faculty reader or advisor also provides support throughout the internship experience to the student and students are asked to regularly be in touch with them.

Capstone Internship:

Procedure by which a student who has completed all of his/her degree requirements requests to postpone his/her graduation by one semester (or possibly two) in order to maintain student status and register a final zero-credit Capstone Internship before officially graduating. More information here.

Internship assignments:

Each and every AUP student must submit assignments by a set deadline following the end of his/her internship in order to clear the internship IN grade. Failing to do has academic consequences. The list of assignments and submission deadlines varies according to the type of internship registration. More information here.

Internship supervisor:

Person at the employing organization who is in charge of supervising the internship. Main contact in case of an issue. Interns are not allowed to take certain decisions without consulting their internship supervisor (i.e. taking a day off, etc.). Internship supervisors can also request to read the internship report of the student.

Memorandum of agreement:

Terminology used by international organizations to designate their training agreement. A classic example is the memorandum of agreement of the OECD and the United Nations.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take days off/vacation during my internship?

Yes, in certain cases and under certain conditions, never without approval of your internship supervisor.

France: if your internship last more than 44 days, then you are entitled to ask for days off. The number of days remains at the discretion of the hosting organization. Not necessarily paid. Must be approved by your internship supervisor.

Abroad: at the full discretion of the hosting organization. It also depends on the local internship legislation. Please ask your supervisor. Not necessarily paid.

I am a non-EU citizen; do I need to obtain a work permit to do an internship in France?

No, you do not. You need to have student status to intern in France. Therefore, you need to be currently enrolled as a degree-seeking student at a higher education institution and to have a valid titre de sejour or carte de sejour. If your titre de sejour or carte de sejour expires before the end of the internship, you can renew or extend it using the internship registration. Please contact Student Immigration Services for questions and assistance.

What happens if I have an accident during my internship?

Accidents occurring on the way to the office, during working hours and on the way back home from the hosting organization are considered to be work accidents in France.

Internships taking place in France

You absolutely must contact your internship supervisor and the Internship Office in order inform them of your accident. Paperwork will need to be filled out by the hosting organization to declare the accident to the CPAM (legal requirement in France).

Internship taking place within an international organization and abroad

Please contact your internship supervisor and the Internship Office.


What happens if I get ill during my internship?

Please contact your internship supervisor. He/She may ask you to obtain a certificate form your doctor.

I was offered a CDD or a CDI, can I use it to register a credit-bearing internship with AUP?

Under certain conditions, you may be able to do so. Please be in touch with the Internship Office.

What should I do if the hosting organization wants to use its own convention de stage/training agreement template?

This is totally fine as long as the convention de stage abides by the current legislation. The Internship Office will review the document before signing it. Potential modifications will be discussed with the Human Resources department of the hosting organization.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Yes, absolutely. There is no geographical restriction. However, please consider 2 important things:

  • We advise against interning in a politically, socially and environmentally sensitive area (war zone, etc.),
  • If you are receiving U.S. governmental loans, please review location guidelines of where you can complete your internship to receive funding. In order to be eligible for US federal loans, BA and MA students have to do their internship outside of the United States.
What happens if I get hired following the end/through of my internship?

You will benefit from certain advantages such as: a potential diminution of the probation/trial period (periode d’essai), and in terms of calculation of rights regarding seniority (droits liés à l'ancienneté).

More information here (in French). If you have questions, please contact the Internship Office or the Career Development Office.

Do I get paid during my internship? If so, how much?

Yes, under certain conditions.

Internship taking place in France

According to the French legislation, internship lasting more than 2 months (to be understood as 44 days) must be paid. The minimum amount of the remuneration is currently of 3,60 euros per hour.

The employer may decide to pay more than the minimum required amount, but cannot pay you less. However, please note that if you’re not interning full-time, the employer can choose to pay you pro-rata (only for the hours you work).

Internship taking place within an international organization

Internships taking place within an international organization are often not paid. It is up to the organization in question to decide if they want to pay their intern.

Internship taking place abroad

It depends on the local internship legislation and/or the internal policy of the hosting organization.


Can I use financial aid and/or US federal loans to register an internship?

Financial Aid

Credit-bearing internships have the same status as regular classes and AUP financial aid applies as usual.   

Students who decide to ONLY do a credit-bearing internship full-time within a given semester, will continue to get the same percentage of tuition reduction as long as they maintain the minimum GPA requirements.

When registering your internship, pre-payment for the internship credits is required. If you receive AUP financial aid, Student Accounting Services will consider your regular percentage of tuition reduction when calculating the amount left to pay.

Please note however that financial aid cannot be applied toward the cost of a 0-credit internship (administrative fee of €200).

US Federal Loans

It’s important to note that in order to be eligible for US federal loans (Stafford, PLUS, etc.) BA and MA students have to do their internship outside of the United States (This is part of the regulations imposed by the U.S. Department of Education).  Students must also be registered for the equivalent of half-time status which is a minimum of 6 credits in a given semester, including summer.   

Students can apply for living expenses with loans during an Internship, but it can only cover the months within the semester (loan period).  In other words, an internship registered for a given fall semester can only cover September through December, even though the internship might extend to February.    

Students registered for a 3-or-4-credit internship only, will not fulfill the requirements for both undergraduate and graduate students. Additionally, Master’s students should know that it is NOT possible to register a class which is not required for the completion of your degree and receive financial aid for it. 

On a different note, please also be aware that deferring graduation in order to do a 0-credit internship once degree requirements have been completed, doesn't entitle students to defer their loan repayment.  The bulk of all loan students have a grace period of six months that begins when a student drops down to less-then-half-time status.  Repayment begins at the end of the grace period.   

If I extend my Graduate thesis for 0-CR, can I keep interning?

According to the AUP academic policy handbook, graduate students can extend their thesis writing period for up to one academic year by registering 0-credit thesis extensions (2 extensions maximum). Although you will have student status during the entire period, this does NOT authorize you to continuously do internships.

You are only allowed to register one final 0-credit internship in the semester following the semester in which your last credit-bearing course was registered.

More information about graduation deferment rules here.

If you register a second 0-credit thesis extension, no new internship registration will be possible.

My internship is not a good fit, can I stop interning?

Under certain conditions, you may be allowed to end your internship earlier than planned. However, this may only come as a last resort. It is important that you first look for solutions and seek advice. Please talk to your friends, family, mentors and AUP staff.

You may not end your internship without the approval of the Internship Office and without signing an avenant to amend the internship contract. Ultimately you will need to discuss your situation with the Internship Coordinator.

Ending your internship earlier than planned will have professional consequences and may have serious academic consequences (in particular for a credit-bearing internship). The Internship Coordinator will liaise with other relevant services at AUP and discuss the situation with your faculty reader/advisor when applicable.

Can I transfer internship credits to AUP?

In rare instances, AUP may consider awarding transfer credit for internships upon submission of supplementary material. Such exceptional consideration requires review by the Transfer Credit Analyst, the Associate Dean of Academic Administration and the Internship Coordinator.

Can I register an internship from abroad?

Yes, absolutely. The online procedure allows you to register an internship from abroad. However, please note that you may need to sign documents, so access to a printer/scanner is important.

Do I need to speak any French to secure an internship in France?

The ability to speak French (and other 3rd or 4th languages) is certainly an asset as you search for an internship in France. For some students studying in certain fields the French language can be extremely important, whereas for other students, their English-speaking ability will be the most important. Students are encouraged to visit with the Internship and Career Advising offices near the beginning of their time at AUP to discuss their aspirations and best plan for the future. 

My internship was a difficult experience; can I be honest about it in my internship report? Do I risk getting a low grade?

Absolutely, we encourage you to be honest about your experience and to critically present and analyze your experience in your report. However, please keep in mind that you may need to send a copy of your report to your internship supervisor for pre-approval before submission (in particular, if you have signed a confidentiality agreement). If you are struggling to figure out what can and cannot be included in your report, please seek advice with your faculty reader/advisor and/or the Internship Coordinator.

An internship report written about a difficult learning experience can still be an excellent report. It is not because the internship was mostly a bad experience that you will automatically get a low grade. You are encouraged to discuss how to reconsider the structure of your report in regards to your situation/experience with your faculty reader/adviser and/or the Internship Coordinator. However, this does not mean you are allowed to completely overlook the guidelines for writing your internship report.

I have signed a confidentiality agreement; how does it impact the content of my internship report?

When preparing your report, please be aware of any confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements you may have signed with your organization. Employers may ask interns to sign confidentiality statements, which may have a bearing on the information you disclose in your internship report and elsewhere. If this is the case, individuals and client corporations may be described rather than named, and projects may be recounted in general terms rather than specific details. Please note this may also impact the submission format of your report.

Students with this type of agreement are encouraged to discuss any questions that may arise with the Internship Office and/or their faculty reader/advisor to make sure they fully understand the terms and conditions of the agreement.