Student Grievance Procedure

As a student at AUP, it is your right to be heard on issues that negatively affect your student experience, and, if necessary, to lodge a complaint or grievance without fear of prejudice or retaliation for initiating the process or for participating in its resolution.

AUP policies and procedures are in place to address a variety of student complaints should they arise. More information may be found at the following locations on the AUP website:

Sometimes a complaint may not be covered by an existing policy. AUP recognizes the importance of providing students with a means to voice concern and is committed to resolving grievances in a fair, equitable and timely manner. However, students are expected first to make good faith and reasonable efforts at resolving any issues through informal means and should, whenever possible, communicate and seek direct resolution with the University representative involved. The following steps must be taken before considering filing a formal complaint.

Step 1: Informal Resolution

Students must make every reasonable effort to resolve the grievance informally by contacting the University representative responsible for the grievance within ten (10) working days of any event related to the grievance. Should students need further assistance, they should contact the University representative’s superior (department chair/program director/manager) in an attempt to resolve the issue informally.

Step 2: Maintain Records

Students must be able to demonstrate that they have followed the above-required channels of communication with both the University representative responsible for the grievance and the representative’s superior. Students should keep notes and records of any meeting and agreement related to the grievance. Students must be able to provide convincing factual evidence and documents proving that there has been a violation of University policy and that there are reasonable grounds for filing a formal complaint.

Step 3: AUP Student Grievance Procedure

The AUP Student Grievance Procedure may be used for complaints not covered by other specific policies. Students should submit a grievance here only when no other specific policy or procedure is available and only when normal channels of communication break down and/or a situation does not permit or lend itself to informal resolution. Such grievances fall into two categories: academic and non-academic grievances.

Follow the appropriate link below to file an online grievance form.

Academic grievance

Examples of academic grievances include allegations of:

  • An arbitrary action on the part of a faculty member
  • Application of standards different from those that were applied to other students in the same course or program
  • Other academic issues that do not concern a grade. For grade concerns please refer above to the Final Grade Challenge Procedure.

Non-academic grievance

A non-academic grievance is an allegation by a student concerning a University matter such as:

  • Unjust treatment by an employee of the University in a way that violates the student’s personal rights
  • Violations of University policies, procedures, regulations or requirements
  • Actions impeding a campus climate of intellectual diversity

Group complaints will not be accepted. A complaint must be filed individually. After filing a grievance, the student will be contacted by an appropriate University official within ten (10) working days.

AUP is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), 3624 Market St., 2nd Floor West; Philadelphia,  PA 19104; +1 267 284 5000. The US Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation recognize MSCHE as an accrediting body for higher education. MSCHE’s website includes a policy and procedure for filing a complaint regarding an institution’s compliance with the Commission’s standards for accreditation, requirements of affiliation, policies or procedures, or the institution’s own policies or procedures. AUP’s current MSCHE Statement of Accreditation Status is posted on the MSCHE website.