Requirements differ slightly whether you’re planning to take part in an AUP Study Abroad program or if you are planning to take a leave of absence from AUP to attend another institution. The main difference is in the eligibility requirements and the number of credits that transfer back to AUP.



  1. You must not have any financial obligations towards the University.
  2. You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of application.
  3. You can complete your semester abroad in your junior year or in the first semester of your senior year. Your final full-time semester must, however, take place at AUP.
  4. You must have earned a minimum of 64 credits.
  5. You must have successfully completed EN1010 (with a grade of “C” or above) at the time of departure.
  6. If you have advanced standing credits from your French or International Baccalaureate (up to 30 credits), you must spend at least three semesters on AUP’s campus before you can participate in AUP Study Abroad.



Because there is limited space in each partner program, there is a nomination process in place.

  1. You must write a 250- to 500-word personal statement to demonstrate motivation.
  2. You must submit a professor’s recommendation form. (Please remember that you must not expect your evaluator to complete this form on short notice.)
  3. You must submit the two above items to the ACE Center by February 1 for study abroad during the Fall semester or by June 15 for study abroad during the Spring semester.

Your application is then reviewed by the study abroad committee who determines your eligibility based on a ranking system (taking into account your overall GPA, the quality of your personal statement and the letter of recommendation you provided) as well as on the appropriateness of the study abroad location for your particular academic needs.

If you’re nominated, you’re ready to apply to the partner site. Because each site is different, the application process is done with the undergraduate advisor in the ACE Center. You may not apply to the site directly.



There are no eligibility requirements or nomination processes for taking a leave of absence. You may apply directly to the school you wish to attend. Feel free to discuss your options with your assigned academic advisor.



If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for AUP Study Abroad, you may pursue the option to take a leave of absence (LOA) to study on your own. You will need to apply directly to the school you wish to attend. Please note that you can only earn up to 18 transfer credits after you have enrolled at AUP (unless these credits are earned as part of AUP Study Abroad).

During the semester prior to your departure, you will need to register for a leave of absence (LOA) with AUP’s Registrar's Office to notify the University of your intended program and the length of time you will be gone. Remember that you will be finding and enrolling in a program on your own. You also need to fill out and submit an External Course Pre-Approval webform (see below).

Make sure to discuss your intention to take an LOA with your assigned academic advisor. Your advisor can assist you in verifying whether taking external courses will fit into your degree plan and can help you identify potential courses to take during study abroad. Your advisor is also the first contact who will need to approve the courses you will be taking on the External Course Pre-Approval webform. The Registrar’s Office will be the second and final contact.



Regardless of whether you are participating in AUP Study Abroad or taking an LOA to study on your own, you must get approval for any courses that will transfer back to AUP by completing the External Course Pre-Approval webform (ECPA). This form requires electronic approval from AUP faculty and administrators, so you will need to complete it at the earliest possible moment before you leave to study.

There are other important points that apply to all students taking courses abroad:

  • You should still register for courses at AUP just in case your study abroad/leave of absence plans fall through.
  • Grades do not transfer back. You will instead be awarded credit for any course for which you obtain a “C” or above.
  • You may not take a course with a “Credit/No Credit” option.
  • You may withdraw from a course.
  • You must continue to check your AUP email account regularly while abroad to keep updated on important communication.
  • While you are abroad, you must remain in email contact with AUP’s advising center during the course registration period for the semester in which you will be returning.
  • You must request an official transcript to be sent to AUP’s Registrar’s Office before you leave your study site.