- PhD in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (1997), University SS Cyril and Methodius in Skopje, Macedonia
- MSc in Computer Science (1992), Thesis title: 'Recognition and Modeling of Evoked Brain Potentials' (in Macedonian), University SS Cyril and Methodius in Skopje, Macedonia
- BS in Electrical Engineering at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering (1988), University 'Sts. Cyril and Methodius' in Skopje, Computer Science major
- Stojanov, G., “Computational Models of Creativity: Taking Early Cognitive Development Seriously” to appear in Indurkhya, B. and Manjalay, J. (eds.) Cognition, Experience and Creativity, Orient Blackswan Pvt. Ltd., 2012.
- Stojanov, G., Kulakov, A., “Modeling attention within a complete cognitive architecture”, in C. Roda (ed.) Attention Support in Digital Environments, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Stojanov, G, “Metaphor and Analogy Research in AI: A Personal Overview”, invited chapter in C. Morabito (ed.) Metaphors and Analogy in Cognitive Science, McGraw-Hill Italy, pp. 119-160, 2002.
- Poprcova, V., Stojanov, G., Kulakov, A. “Inductive Logic Programming (ILP) and Reasoning by Analogy in Context of Embodied Robot Learning”, in Proceedings of IJATS, pp. 64-73. 2010.
- Kulakov, A., Laukkanen, J., Mustafa, B., Stojanov, G., “Inductive Logic Programming and Embodied Agents: Possibilities and Limitations”, International Journal of Agent Technologies and Systems, Vol. 1, pp. 34-49, 2009.
- Stojanov, G., Trajkovski, G., Kulakov, A., “Interactivism in artificial intelligence (AI) and intelligent robotics”, New Ideas in Psychology, Volume 24, pp. 163-185 Issue 2, 2006.
- Stojanov, G., Angelovska-Galevska, N., “The Higher Education System in Macedonia: Overview, Reforms, and Prospects”, European Education, Vol. 38, pp. 44-59, M. E. Sharpe, 2006.
- Stojanov, G., Bickhard, M., “Representation: Emulators and Anticipators”, invited commentary to Rick Grush’s paper The emulation theory of representation: motor control, imagery, and perception, Journal of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Vol. 27, pp. 418-419, 2004.
- Stojanov, G, Stojanoski, K, “Computer Interfaces: From Communication to Mind-Prosthesis Metaphor”, in Meurig Beynon, Chrystopher L. Nehaniv, Kerstin Dautenhahn (Eds.): Cognitive Technology: Instruments of Mind CT2001 Conference Proceedings, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 2117, pp. 301-310, Springer-Verlag, 2001.
- Stojanov, G., “Embodiment as Metaphor: Metaphorizing-in The Environment” in C. Nehaniv (ed.) Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 1562, pp. 88-101, Springer-Verlag, 1999.
- Stojanov, G., Bozinovski, S., Trajkovski G. ”Interactionist-Expectative View on Agency and Learning,” IMACS Journal on Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, N. 44, pp. 295-310, 1997.
- Stojanov, G., Indurkhya, B. (2013) “Creativity and Cognitive Development: the role of Perceptual Similarity and Analogy”, AAAI Spring Symposium on Creativity and (Early) Cognitive Development, Stanford University, March 25-27, 2013.
- Stojanov, G., Indurkhya, B. (2012) “Perceptual Similarity and Analogy in Creativity and Cognitive Development”, 1st International Workshop on Similarity and Analogy-based Methods in AI, within European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), Montpellier, France, August 27th 2012.
- Stojanov, G. (2009) “History of Usage of Piaget’s Theory of Cognitive Development in AI and Robotics: a Look Backwards for a Step Forwards”, in proceedings of the 9th Int’l Conference on Epigenetic, Lund University Cognitive Science Series, 146 (pp. 243-244)
- Laukkanen, L., Stojanov. G., Poprcova, V. (2009) “Some Improvements of the ILP System HYPER Used in the Context of Robotic Learning”, In Poster Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining in Pattern Recognition, MLDM 2009, Leipzig, Germany, July 23-25, 2009.
- Stojanov, G. (2009) “Artificial Scientist: Why are we not there yet?”, presented at the 5th Interactivist Summer Institute held on June 9-12, 2009, at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver. - ISI 2009.
- Stojanov., G. (2009) “Robots as children, children as scientists, robots as scientists? Paper presented at the Symposium From developmental psychology to robotics and back organized within the The 39th Annual Meeting of the Jean Piaget Society, June 4-6, Park City, USA 2009.
- Poprcova, V., Kulakov, A., Stojanov, G. (2009) “Inductive Logic Programming (ILP) and Reasoning by Analogy in Context of Embodied Robot Learning”, presented at ICT ACT Conference, Ohrid, Macedonia, September, 2009. - ICT-ACT 2009.
- Stojanov, G., Kulakov, A. (2007) “Emergence of Higher Order Motivational Systems in Artificial Agents”, presented at the 4th Interactivist Summer Institute, Paris, 2007.
- Kulakov, A., Stojanov, G. (2007) “An Autonomous Mental Development Architecture Implemented in a Scalable Database System”, 4th Interactivist Summer Institute, Paris, 2007.
- Stojanov, G., Kulakov, A., & Clauzel, D. (2006) “On Curiosity in Intelligent Robotic Systems”, Proceedings AAAI 2006 Fall Symposium on Interaction and Emergent Phenomena in Societies of Agents, Arlington, Virginia, 2006.
- Roda, C., Stojanov, G., Clauzel, D. (2006) “Mind-prosthesis metaphor for design of human-computer interfaces that support better attention management”, Proceedings AAAI 2006 Fall Symposium on Interaction and Emergent Phenomena in Societies of Agents, Arlington, Virginia, 2006.
- Kulakov, A., Davcev, D., Stojanov, G. (2005) “Learning Patterns in Wireless Sensor Networks Based on Wavelet Neural-Networks”, 11th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Fukuoka, Japan, June 20-22, 2005.
- Stojanov, G., Kulakov, (2003) A. “Interactivist approach to representation in epigenetic agents” Workshop on Epigenetic Robotics, Lund University Cognitive Studies, 106, 2003.
- Kulakov, A., Stojanov, G. (2002) “Structure, Inner Values, Hierarchies, and Stages: Essentials for Developmental Robot Architecture”, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Epigenetic Robotics, Lund University Cognitive Studies, 94, 2002.
- Kulakov, A., Stojanov, G., Davcev, D. (2002) “A model of an expectancy-driven and analogy-making actor”, Proceedings of the The 2nd International Conference on Development and Learning, Cambridge MA 2002, published by IEEE Computer Society, 2002.
- Stojanov, G. (2001) “Petitagé: A case study in developmental robotics”, Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Epigenetic Robotics, Lund University Cognitive Studies, 85, Lund, Sweden, 2001.
- Stojanov, G. Gerbino, W. (1999) “Investigating Perception in Humans Inhabiting Simple Virtual Environments”, European Conference on Visual Perception 1999, Trieste, abstract published in Perception Vol. 28 supplement 1999.
- "Intelligence Artificielle: Langage Naturel, Grammaires Formels, Analogies et Métaphores," invited lecture for the students of Master 2 Sciences du Langage Recherche, Parcours 1, UE 5, Université Montpellier 3, November, 2008. (invited lecture)
- "Constructivisme et psychologie du développement au sein de l'Intelligence Artificielle et de Robotique Cognitive," invited lecture for the members of the research group CRAC: Compréhension, Raisonnement, et Acquisition de Connaiscances, Université Paris-8, December, 2007 (invited lecture) http://paragraphe.univ-paris8.fr/fr/equipes/crac/
- "Cognitive Robotics: The return of the body in the sciences of mind," 14th International Summer School in Cognitive Science, New Bulgarian University, July, 2007 (invited course co-taught with Prof. Bipin Indurkhya) http://www.nbu.bg/cogs/events/ss2007.html
- "Interactivism in AI and cognitive robotics", Invited talk for the Hyderabad ACM chapter, November 3rd, 2010.
- "Computational models of creativity: taking development seriously", Conference on Creativity, Experience, and Cognition, Ahmedabad, India, October 29-31, 2010. http://www.iitgn.ac.in/events/CEC.html
- Invited participation and talk at the Schloss Dagstuhl Seminar on Mechanisms of Ongoing Cognitive Development, February 10-15th 2013 https://www.dagstuhl.de/de/programm/kalender/semhp/?semnr=13072
- This year (2013) Stojanov is organizing an AAAI sponsored symposium on Creativity and (Early) Cognitive Development, within the Spring Symposia Series at Stanford University, March 25-27th.
- Stojanov is organizing a workshop, "Creativity and Attention in the age of the Web", to be held within the ACM Web Science 2013 conference, to be held in Paris, May 1st.
- Professor Stojanov is co-founder of the Institute for Interactivist Studies and member of organizing committee of the bi-annual Interactivist Summer Institute (ISI).
- He is a member of EUCog (European network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics),
- AAAI (American Association for Artificial Intelligence), ACM (Association for Computing Machinery),
- ISAB (International Society for Adaptive Behavior), and
- JPS (Jean Piaget Society).
Professor Stojanov received his MSc (in bio-signals processing: EEG, EMG, EOG) in 1993 and his PhD degree in Computer Science and AI from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Sts Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, Macedonia in 1997. In 2000, he founded the Cognitive Robotics Group at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering in Skopje. In 2001, he was appointed as associate professor at the same faculty. Between 2001 and 2004, Stojanov has been a visiting scholar at the University of Trieste, Italy, Les Archives Jean Piaget in Geneva, Université de Versailles-Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines in Paris, and at the Institute for Non-linear Science, University of California in San Diego. As of Fall 2005, he is associate professor at The American University of Paris.
Stojanov is co-founder of the Institute for Interactivist Studies and member of organizing committee of the bi-annual Interactivist Summer Institute (ISI). He is a member of EUCog (European network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics), AAAI (American Association for Artificial Intelligence), ACM (Association for Computing Machinery), ISAB (International Society for Adaptive Behavior), and JPS (Jean Piaget Society). He has been a member of the program committees of numerous conferences, symposia, and workshops in the domain of Artificial Intelligence and developmental robotics.
Refereed journal papers
Refereed international conference papers
Conferences & Lectures
Cognitive development and creativity; analogy and metaphor; learning in artificial and natural agents; modeling cognitive phenomena with robotic systems; radical constructivism; languages and translation.
|Spring 2016||CM1500A||DIGITAL TOOLKIT I|
|Spring 2016||CM1500B||DIGITAL TOOLKIT I|
|Spring 2016||CS1005A||INTRO TO WEB AUTHORING|
|Spring 2016||CS3032||OPERATING SYSTEMS|
|Fall 2016||CM1500A||DIGITAL TOOLKIT I|
|Fall 2016||CM1500B||DIGITAL TOOLKIT I|
|Fall 2016||CS2021FB4||THE ART AND SCIENCE OF CREATING DIGITAL STUFF|
|Fall 2016||CS2071||LANGUAGES & DATA STRUCTURES|