Department Chair, Associate Professor
- Department(s):Computer Science Math and Environmental Science
- Graduate Program(s):Public Policy
- Office Hours:by email appointment
Professor Corran obtained her PhD in Pure Mathematics, On monoids related to braid groups, from the University of Sydney in 2000. She had a post as assistant lecturer at the University of NSW, Australia, in that year. In 2001 she was the recipient of an EPSRC grant to work on reflection groups at the University of Leicester, England. In 2002 she was awarded a two-year European Union Marie Curie postdoctoral award with the Centre National de Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) in Paris. In 2004, she took up a postdoctoral position at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne. She joined The American University of Paris in 2005.
Corran's mathematical research interests are in group and semigroup theory, particularly in terms of presentations and decision problems. She has been looking at reflection groups, braid groups, and Garside groups and monoids. Current projects include root systems for complex reflection groups and investigating new presentations for groups related to braid groups. She has published in Advances in Mathematics and the Journal of Algebra, among others.
BS, PhD, University of Sydney
- Braid groups of imprimitive complex reflection groups, with Eon-Kyung Lee and Sang-Jin Lee, J. Algebra 427, 387-425 (2015).
- On the automaticity of singular Artin monoids of finite type, with Michael Hoffmann, Dietrich Kuske and Richard M, Thomas, Int. J. Comput. Math. 90, No. 6, 1197-1222 (2013).
- A new Garside structure for the braid groups of type (e,e,r), with Matthieu Picantin, J. Lond. Math. Soc., II. Ser. 84, No. 3, 689-711 (2011).
- Conference proceedings: Singular Artin monoids of finite Coxeter type are Automatic, with Michael Hoffmann, Dietrich Kuske, Richard M. Thomas at Language and Automata Theory and Applications - 5th International Conference, LATA 2011, Tarragona, Spain, May 26-31, 2011. Proceedings; 01/2011
- Non-crossing partitions of type (e,e,r), with D. Bessis, Advances Math. 202 (2006), 1- 49.
- Conjugacy in singular Artin monoids, J. Aust. Math. Soc. 79 (2005), 183 - 212
- A normal form for a class of monoids containing the singular braid monoids, J. Algebra 223 (2000), no. 1, 256 - 282
- Solving the word problem in the singular braid monoids, Austral. Math. Soc. Gaz., 26(1) (1999), 27- 33.
Other articles, preprints
- On monoids related to braid groups, Bull. Austral. Math. Soc., 64(1) (2001) 173 -- 176 (thesis resumé)
- Garside structure for the braid group of G(e,e,r), (with D. Bessis) preprint, June 2003, arXiv:math.GR/0306186